Patch like Monome’s “Norms”?

Would love to see a patch like the Norms from Monome. Unless there already is one and I’m just unaware or using it wrong.

If im not mistaken Norns is sort of similar to the organelle in that it doesn’t really do just one thing… it runs different programs similar to patches on the organelle. So not exactly sure what a norns patch on organelle would really mean or what you are asking for.

1 Like

Oh I had no idea. Just discovered it today. In the video in the main thread the patch from the Norms seems to have a sample cutter, reverse and pitch shifter functionality all in one. I’m not a patch developer but it just seemed like something cool the organelle must have the ability to replicate.

I think norns is running mlr there.
https://monome.org/docs/app/

Here’s some similar work in that direction

3 Likes

norns is ‘platform’ a bit like Organelle, but where Supercollider and LUA are used instead of Pure Data for running ‘patches’.

I actually got Norns running on a rPI, using a Push 2 in place of the hardware.

its quite nice, though there aren’t that many patches for it at the moment.

its not really practical to port norns to the Organelle for a few reasons , probably two biggest are
a) Organelle is not quite powerful enough b) Organelle is using a pretty old version of Linux.
(not saying its impossible, as it is possible, just not really viable imho)

but as others have said, there are PD alternatives to MLR, for sampling duties, that you could use on the Organelle. (and wouldn’t rely on you having an expensive monome grid to use)

2 Likes

Ahh that makes sense

Necrobump!!
So I just recently found this post https://llllllll.co/t/norns-mother-organelle-patches-on-norns/30237/37 offering a combination of Pure Data files, plugins, externals and tweaks to make the Organelle patches compatibles with Norns… and given that now we have 4x the power, and Norns has many more patches available, I was wondering if it was currently possible to port those to our beloved Organelle - M

1 Like

bump @technobear

Porting the norns software is not difficult.
Basically norns is just supercollider + lua

So the only change required in the software is to support the difference in hardware , namely :

• oled which is different
  • potentiometers rather than encoders.

But this raises the underlying ‘problem’

The display on the norns is 16 shades of grey, on the organelle is monochrome - this means all norns patches would need to be altered to some how work with 2 ‘colours’
Potentiometer, again patches would need to be changed to reflect that potentiometers have absolute values rather that the incremental nature of encoders (which the norns has)

so the issue is, whilst the ‘norns software’ ( think OS) can work, you’d have to re-design and re-write every norns patch to reflect the hardware differences.
so you’d not have the advantage of the norns software library to build on.

so the only reason i could see this as advantageous, is for developers that prefer to work with supercollider - but we already have this on the Organelle.

so it comes down to do you prefer to code the UI in sclang or lua…
whilst i can see lua is a little easier for beginners, its feels like a flawed approach to me - sclang as part of supercollider is much better integrated with scsynth, that lua… you also have more supercollider tutorials to learn from.

tldr; organelle -> norns was possible as norns hardware display/encoders are a little more flexible that the organelle, so it can be consider a superset, rather than a subset.

of course, counter to this… the organelle has a keyboard, so is more complete imho :wink:
(so in a similar fashion some ports of organelle patchs to norns dont really translate well either!)

Right, that makes a lot of sense.
Thank you very much for the explanation!!