Remote Patching (using VNC)

no this is not compatible with the organelle-m,
( i plan to put a check in stuff that is not compatible - but not got around to doing it yet!)

but the organelle-m already had VNC installed, however there is a small error in the config which is why it didn’t work ‘out of the box’ - planned to be fixed on next OS release.

all you should need to do is :
inside
~/.vnc/xstartup

you will find the line…
export HOME=/root

this needs to change to
export HOME=/home/music

then this should work - though I’ll admit i need to go verify this… to check there isn’t anything else needed.

one small concern, is you may have messed things up slightly by running the organelle-1 version… but i again, id need to go test this on the organelle-m to check to see exactly what it will have done.

anyway, try editing the above file… and as soon as i get a chance I’ll go check to see state the VNC stuff is in :slight_smile:

hmm, thanks, I suspected this was about the case…

looking at what’s in github vs what’s on the organelle - I don’t think any of the config, passwd or xstartup files got copied over - i wonder if the location of the remount script changed and prevented all that stuff from running.

the “run tigerVNC” menu option does start the vncserver, i ended up able to connect with Real VNC using music:music but end up on Display :1

I’ll just wait and see what you end up adjusting to get it working, thanks!

yeah, it might have deleted the .vnc directory on the /root, due to following code in deploy.sh

rm -rf /root/.vnc
mv vnc /root/.vnc

anyway first stage, Ive just updated all utils etc that are not suitable for the organelle-m, so they will ‘fail’ to install (and tell you they are incompatible) rather than ‘damage’ anything…

I’ll try to take a look at what’s need to get VNC running on the organelle-m tomorrow, I believe its just a small adjustment… and I could probably create a temporary ‘fix’ patch, to do this once Ive tested it.
(prior to the fix making its way to the next OS update, which of course I;ll also do)

I don’t think any of the changes to the read-only filesystem took, as remount-rw.sh isn’t in /root/scripts anymore. Looks like all the scripts are in /home/music/fw_dir/scripts now.

I just got an Organelle-M a couple days ago & this is my first intro to the Organelle. I was able to connect by VNC after these steps:

• SSH into the Organelle-M (user: music, pass: music)
  • run the sudo /home/music/fw_dir/scripts/remount-rw.sh script
  • vncserver
  • connect from my chromebook thru RealVNC, using the ip address and port 5901 and the credentials music/music again.

It took me a while to figure out those steps and values but then it works very well! Are the music/music credentials printed anywhere? I just guessed the password & used the username from the shell visible over hdmi.

2 Likes

yeah, we would want to avoid making the root file system writable, this is not really required, so this is why we need to do something similar to what I did on the organelle-1

what Id will probably do is make the previous vnc script compatible with the organelle-m, and then in the next OS , for both organelle-1 and organelle-m make it part of the OS, similar to say the web server/wifi stuff… so its kind of ‘built in’

but its new to have both environments, so will take a little while to ‘perfect’ :slight_smile:

Hello I’m kind of late to the party but today I installed TigerVNC on my organelle-1.
I started the AP on the organelle, and launched TigerVNC, and connect to the organelle network on my mac
However, when I try to connect to the organelle via screen sharing app i get get a failed to connect, I tried bothe organelle:5901 and organelle.local:5901 and both give me the same result. What am i doing wrong?

sounds like your doing the right thing :frowning:

if you look above, others that had the same issue did a fresh OS install , and that fixes it…

this means it’s likely ‘something’ has been installed previously that conflicts with the OS image.
unfortunately Ive no way of determining what this is - since I cannot reproduce it.
(as it works on my organelles, and if I prepare a fresh image, then we know it will work as well!)

so i you can fresh image on the SD card that is what I’d recommend, as Ive no easy way of determining what you issue is :frowning:

Unfortunately no luck with the fresh installation of os3.1. I still get the same error messages when I try to connect to organelle:5901 and organelle.local:5901. Is there a log file I can consult on the organelle to see what’s going wrong?

Ok here is the weird thing, when I run tiger vnc from the oled screen I cannot connect, however when I launch tigervnc manually on the organlle via /usbdrive/system/TigerVNC/run.sh and specify my password then I can connect on the mac via the screensharing app pointing to organelle.local:5901. This is of course not very handy since I want also to be able to connect to my organelle via vnc when I have no hdmi montor available and keyboard and mouse.

1 Like

Sounds very similar to what happened to me a while ago, with fix here (some ways above in this thread): Remote Patching (using VNC)

You can look at some preceding posts about it too. Not sure why the new installer would still do this, but chmod-ing that thing might be worth a shot?

So if my understanding is right I must manually start TigerVNC via the run.sh script, and make sure that the /root/.vnc/passwd gets overwritten with the passwd file used by the manually launched TigerVNC and afterwards chmod 600 this file to make sure that it does not get overwritten again?

Ive now release a replacement to to the original patch (TigerVNC)

StartVNC : https://patchstorage.com/startvnc/

this now runs on the Organelle-1 and Organelle-M

It fixes the password issue for the organelle-1,
I’ve now have put the geometry (screen resolution) on the command line in StartVNC/run.sh which makes it easier to edit!

see notes on patchstorage for details
(organelle-1 passwd is still cool music, organelle-m user/passwd is music/music)

note: Id guess this might be rolled in a future OS update, but it seems useful for now :slight_smile:

@oweno would you consider changing the discourse ‘post edit time limit’ to zero,
this will mean we can edit older posts - useful for posts like these, where Id love to edit the top post with the corrected details!?

3 Likes

Changed!

Thanks for updating this patch!

1 Like

Working great here too!
So no more ssh into organelle and running vncserver?
Great!

Using TigerVNC’s vncviewer on Windows, I receive the following error upon connection: “No matching security types”.

Will try other clients after work, but thought I’d share this so long.

no, its really recommend you do not make the filesystem writable (using remount-rw.sh), this patch means this is not necessary.

I use RealVNC on windows 10, and it works fine.
(Ive updated FAQ to recommend realvnc… others should work, but Ive no bandwidth to test lots of clients :wink: )

1 Like

Thanks! Using RealVNC’s VNC Viewer works well on Windows.

1 Like

So sorry for this newbie question but I am following the manual. I uploaded the file to the patches directory. I can’t see anything like “Install StartVNC”…
I did a lot, restart etc., Storage -> Reload, where is it? Thanks! :hugs:

Are you using USB or SD card for patches? the Organelle will read from USB (over SD) if you have one inserted, so if you uploaded it to the SD card, reload will reload the patches from the USB and you won’t see it.