Orac 2.0

I haven’t tried it, but i’m sure c&g stated transport control was in there - maybe it was just in the seq3 patch pack they released and not the orac module?

10 characters is the minimum to post on the forum! :wink:

1 Like

I looked at transport when I was doing orac 2.0… but really ‘ran out of time’

receiving transport is trivial, but unfortunately is not the issue…
the issue is all the sequencer modules need to be partially ‘re-written’ to be able to start/stop from a central point, rather than from the aux button… and unfortunately, this code is very different in every sequencer - so its quite time consuming.

(also I need to check this gives proper sync once done)

also, related, it really means the nature of the aux button for every sequencer changes…
since you pressing ‘play’ on a sequencer doesn’t really mean ‘start now’
but what does it mean?
does it mean start the global transport?
or does it mean ‘arm’ this track to play?
similarly - how does record now work when you have a global transport?

(bare in mind this is all different for Orac, compared to standalone patches … as we have potentialy multiple sequencers on different chains)

so you can see, it possibly means I need to pretty much re-write large parts of the sequencer logic in all the sequencers - and if i do this, then im really tempted to see if I can generalise it a bit, and also perhaps make them more ‘ableton link’ like, which means they are aware of bar/beats , rather than just the simple start/stop/clock - which is not as precise.

but hence, why you can see it was more than I had time to do…

I also need to look at what was done in Seq3 and some of the newer C&G patches, perhaps that might also provide some additional ideas - but its probably not worth me ‘porting’ these to orac, because as above - they don’t provide all the answers because they are only focus on 1 module.

1 Like

Cool thanks. Faintly remembered this. Was more surprised that C&G seq3 module didn’t do it, as the patch version transport is a big feature - but if there are also changes to be made to orac itself to have it work… makes sense.

Hey Mark, I’ve only just got an ES8 for my modular and interested what the latest is with Orac and using the organelle with the Eurorack gear? Did you implement any CV stuff or are you mainly using it as a 4in8out soundcard? I haven’t really tried combining the two instruments yet, I tend to pick one or the other to experiment with so be cool to hear how other folk are using both?

Im using it for both CV IO and audio IO.

Ive done the initial ‘prototyping’ of the ideas, and I’m now working on it for something i need to be done for September - I’ll ‘release’ what I have as it gets done.

my post above, should give you most of whats need to have a play till then :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh excellent stuff! Next time I sit down with my organelle, I’ll have a poke about, thanks man. ES8 seems a really neat module, I’ve been using it with the new Ableton CV Tools. I’ve got Audulus on the iPad too, I’ve been meaning to link up, but having some nice sequencing away from the laptop is always good for inspiration.

1 Like

I’ve got 2 pre-user questions, hoping it’s not too obvious :

1. I assume that Orac hosts a copy of all the Organelle Patches (and some other modules like the MI modules) in its own folder, right ?
    So what do I have to do if I want one of my PD patches to be loadable in an Orac rack ?

2. Does the new Sample management with the Kit concept mean that, when using a patch that records audio, I could accidentally permanently overwrite some samples ? And if this is the case, would you consider an option (like dropping a text file like “protect 1” or “protect 0”) to protect a kit’s content ?

1. Patches need adapting to be used as modules within orac - see my video about what this entails.
    Then they live in the modules directories

2. Yes, what I generally do is use a different kit.
    Unless, of course, I want to record/sample in one module and playback in another.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m a bit anxious of erasing stuff, but I guess I’ll find a way when I will be actually using it, like starting from kit #100 for read-only, for instance. How many kits can we have ?

Hi @thetechnobear, thnxs for your wonderful instrument, I’m quite new to all of this but I love the way how intuitive it all works, had quite a bit of fun with it already.

For some reason I don’t get any sound out of any of the samplers,…I use the new Organelle M, with OS 3.2 When I load a synth patch into a1, I got sound on the keys right away. As soon as I load sampler or sampler24 I don’t get any sound, whilst the right kits are selected. Is there anything I’m missing? Do I need to actively load the samples or something?

1 Like

Hello, friends!
Has anybody figured out how to make sidechain effect in orac 2.0.?
Maybe somebody has made the module?

no modules Im aware of, and nothing in orac itself

theres a couple of ways it could be done, in orac 2.0… if someone wants to write a module or two. (neither are hard)

a) make it mono, and say that left channel = audio , right channel = sidechain input
this would be very easy, you then just need to use an envelope follower.

b) create modules a sidechain ‘send’ and then you could have ‘receive’ modules, perhaps with a sidechain bus # … you can then use throw/catch … however, there might be some quirks, as try/catch can be a bit troublesome when code is dynamically loaded , as they are in orac.

another (interesting) approach would be allow(*)/create the various sequencers to be modulators, and so they could then ‘duck’ the gain of a module thru the mixer. (or any other parameter on any module!)

(*) it be nice to make it so that all sequencers can do this, e.g. instead of note output, I’ll think about this for a future version of orac.

2 Likes

Anyone? Who can help me out with this?

How did you install orac?
Did you use the ‘install Orac’ option on the organelle after you copied across zop file?

I recently noticed that windows is incorrectly renaming the zop to zip , and if you just copy that across and unzip the file it will not be installed correctly including not having the samples setup correctly.

If this is the case, re-download from patchstorage, ensure file is called orac.zop then move across to organelle in patches directory then use ‘install’ option on menu.

Aha, that was the Noob in me, fckn’ it up :wink: I just unzipped it on my Mac and copied the folder to the Organelle,…running the installer did the job! Awesome! Thanks alot!

1 Like

Howdy! I’m having some confusion with midi out - I have in chain 2 basic poly, followed by Moog lfo, and then a panner. Sending notes out I get strange behavior.
Noticed it functions as expected if Basic Poly is last in the chain. I have note thru “on” in all four slots and midi channel for the chain set right. Any help is stellar and as always thank you!

what kind of ‘strange behaviour’ , can you tell me what is exactly is happening?

also can you try with different fx, perhaps one of the FX has something a bit odd going on? (e.g. I might have forgotten to stop it passing notes thru?.. in which case you could work around by note turning notes thru on for that module)

Thanks for orac!

I’m new to the Organelle, and have a couple of questions about simple orac things. I installed orac 2.0 without issue on my Organelle-1, and have verified the default patch is working.

1. If I make a new parallel patch with a synth in A1 and a Reverb effect in P2, I can play the keyboard when on the A1 screen, and hear the effect nicely. If I then move to the P2 screen, I can no longer play the keyboard and hear anything, which is probably as it should be. How do I set up orac so that the keyboard is routed to A1, even if I’m twiddling parameters in the P2 screen?

2. How do I save my work, so that when I return to orac I can continue where I left off? I’m sure this must have been covered in the videos, but I missed it!

Thanks again!

2 Likes
  1. as you say by design, since many modules might want the keyboard
    so the keyboard follows the ‘active’ module.
    however, the router (S1) has an ‘active page’ (near end)
    on this there is A. Dest (active destination)
    0 = active module
    any other number is module number which always gets the organelle keyboard input, so in this case you can set to 1
  1. presets
    save the preset (you can create a new one to not overwrite the existing one)
    note: new preset, just creates a new preset, it does not change any modules/settings.
    so just click save preset
    the save option on the main menu is used to save what preset is when orac restarts.
    it does not save the preset… just which is loaded at started

for 2.1 im considering changing the save option on the main menu, so it saves the preset as well… as I think most seem to assume it saves the preset as well.
i’m also wondering about moving ‘new preset’ to main menu too…
this way - you’ll only have to go into the current preset submenu to load a new preset…

note: renaming presets
so a new preset will be called something like ‘new-1’
you can use the patch manager (web app) to rename this,
simply go to the data/orac/presets folder, and then rename the (e.g) new-1 folder to what you would like it to be called

3 Likes

I’m trying to use Basic Poly to send Midi Notes out to pocket piano (vibrato synth) to layer synth sounds - when doing so, pocket piano only seems to get maximum 2 notes at a time (although repeatedly pressing the two notes there are volume fluctuations that sound a bit like phasing).

I checked this sending notes to my Electron Analog 4 and same thing is happening. Again it’s fine if Basic Poly is last in the chain. When it’s first in the chain, turning off note thru in the modules that follow seems to prevent the notes being sent out. I’m leaving note thru on for the Basic Poly module for all of this.