Orac 2.0

Hi Orac community,

I have trouble managing my presets. Before i was limited to save 6 new presets, any new preset i’d save would be saved, it was stuck to preset 6.
Then i deleted them all to see if it unlocks it, but now when i make a new preset, i see it saved (new-0) but when i shut down and start again the organelle, the preset is gone…
Anyone can help me understand the preset mechanism and it’s different folders? thx !

@Adelabi

Hi there,

I don’t know what’s going on for you exactly, but since you haven’t gotten a response, I will say that your preset situation seems like it would be abnormal to me. I’ve managed to save dozens of presets, and it’s been my assumption the only limitation was SD card or USB drive space.

So, in my experience, anytime you click save new you get a new preset with no limit, and each preset has a new folder for it when you open up the file manager.

Have you tried reinstalling orac? (IE, The ol’ turn it off and on again?)

I’m having an issue with Orac that I suspect is just user-error, but I am unsure–I’m unable to input any audio. Maybe I’m mistaken and orac can’t accept audio from the input or mic? But I was fairly sure I’d seen people say you can use it as an fx unit.

Other patches on my organelle-m are accepting audio input totally fine, and I’m up to date on the OS. (Although I’ve been having issues with wifi connection, though it doesn’t make sense to me that would be connected in any way).

My suspicion/hope is that this is just user-error and there’s some setup I need to do I haven’t been able to find info on yet, and someone here is kind enough to point me the way.

Thanks,
hazel

Hey so orac needs to be told what’s happening.

In S1 (c#) you should have a routing patch (parallel or serial).
In this patch, in my case I use parallels more, you have multiple pages dictating how audio is routed. In channels A B C you can set their input gain (one of the last pages). By default all audio in is set to 0% gain.

hey thanks so much!

I thought it might be the case there was an input gain setting I’d missed, thanks for taking the time to point it out to me.

In case anyone else is reading this and needs extra guidance: the gain settings for individual modules in the router module setting do not also function as input gain, as I mistakenly thought. Instead there’s pages much further in labelled “chain 1 gain,” “chain 2 gain,” etc.

I had Orac running on both Terminal Tedium and Organelle-M at Superbooth this year - on the Electra One stand :slight_smile:

you can see a demo of what we were up too…

yes, this also runs on the Organelle… a great way to extend its UI :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hey! Small Feature question about orac 2.0- I’m hoping to run a setup where I have two different midi sources talking to the same chain. one is a nanoKontrol, giving nothing but control signals, and the other is a keystep pro which gives clock and note signals. I’m hoping to grab at least the clock signal from the keystep so that I can sync some fx patches with it, but still control the parameters of the fx patches with the nanokontrol. I can’t figure out how to get orac to hear midi which is passed via the 1/8th inch jacks in the back of the device in addition to from the usb midi bus on the side. Is this something that’s supported, or will I need to get my hands dirty in the patches to make this work? Thanks!

EDIT:
At least part of my issue is that I was using the wrong MIDI-to-TRC connector to pass the keystep signal to the organelle- it could be that this is the only issue, but I won’t know until I’ve sourced the replacement part. Quite annoying that there are three different standards for the trc jack!

@thetechnobear I have the same problem, same crackling noise every time I reach more than 70% cpu.

• is it normal to get incessant crackling when I run orac at 70% cpu ?
  • more generally, is it normal that, orac having 10 slots, we can only use 5 or 6 at most without cracking sound?

yes, pretty normal that you need to have a bit of cpu headroom on ANY processor to process audio without audio glitching - since sound buffers have to be filled on time…
without a true realtime OS that means you have to have spare capacity… and don’t use things like the sdcard/wifi to ensure no hardware interrupts.

also, on a multi core cpu (like OrganelleM) you may find the cpu load is being averaged across all cores, so is actually misrepresented - but most modules are fixed to using the same core, so single core cpu load is what you need to know.

slot usage, completely depends… some modules use more cpu that others, so its quite possible to use all 10 if you are using things like sequencers/midi processors which have low cpu requirements.
but if you use heavy cpu fxs or multi voice synth patches, then sure you aren’t going to be able to use as many modules.

the biggest limitation with Orac 2.0 on an OrganelleM (*) , is that like more PD patches, its only using a single core - in practice, we could use something like 3 (of the 4) cores for DSP.

however, that’s hard to do whilst retaining compatibility with the Organelle1, it also increases latency slightly (since audio buffers across cores need to be synchronised for final output)

also I should say devs could already create multi core pd/orac modules without any changes… this would work well for things like multi voice synth modules.

(*) as I pointed out from day 1 with the OrganelleM,
Orac does make use of the multi cores … not only would the M tend to move the OS operations to other cores, but also things like mother and also the threads I use to communicate with mother will also very likely end up on the non-dsp.
the limitation is currently all DSP will end up on one core.

1 Like

thanks, I greatly appreciate your explanations, even if being French and not very computer savvy I only partially understand them :slight_smile:

it would also be pretty awesome to be able to use several cores and thus be able to get various cpu-hungry modules.

FYI I adapted a module to use multiprocessing for different synth voices a while back, if that is any help to you @Lijcke

2 Likes

Hi! I just got orac 2.0 so it’s very new and I have a lot to learn so I hope yall will excuse my ignorance. Recently I lost access to all the fx modules in orac and cant seem to get to the bottom of it. I figured this was perhaps a result of carelessly building big presets without considering cpu usage. I also noticed that I stopped being able to load, or even scroll through, fx after I accidentally uploaded Lcchy’s ADSR module (a .json file) to the fx folder rather than the modulate folder. I’ve since deleted that and most of my presets but the problem still persists even within a blank preset. What am I missing?

Hmm I’ve never encountered this behavior but I can try and help you out.
There must be some files lying around that are causing MEC (which is the program managing all of Oracs parameters, presets and menu contents) to not parse the folder hierarchy correctly. If you have access to your device via ssh, could you please post the result of this command: find ~/media/orac/usermodules/ (and hide the details by clicking on the little gear on the top message bar please) ?

If you don’t have access this way maybe a screenshot of the contents of this folder could help.
Essentially you should look for something that differs from the usual folder structure.

Have you also deleted the module.pd file from the fx folder after the accidental upload?

Ps: I think that high cpu usage is unlikely to cause such a behavior, but you never know

Having a lot of fun with ORAC 2. I have a few questions which I haven’t found an answer for in the videos or the quasi-manual on GitHub.

Q: Is there a way to Copy a module with its current configuration and Paste it into another slot in the router? Say, I have a synthesizer in A1 that I tweaked and then I decide I actually want to use a sequencer with it. I’d like to copy A1 into A2 so that I don’t have to manually recreate all knob states on all pages of the module.

Q: Are there plans to make the router use pd~ to utilize the 3 idling cores of the Organelle M? Now it’s quite easy to get Pd to overload, especially using the MI modules or the new C&G patches like 4waveFM.

Q: What are the most popular platforms on which Orac 2 is supported? I’m interested in knowing what other hardware besides Organelle is the largest user of Orac.

no, there is no copy n’ paste of modules.

pd~ , Ive considered it, what i ideally wanted to do was to use a core per chain - but it’s pretty complex (=alot of dev time) since its not just running the DSP but also getting things like parameters distributed, and making sure the dynamic loading stuff works within a pd~… which is far from given.
… so just not had time to really explore it, in enough depth to determine feasibility or if I have time to do it.

(note: specific modules could use pd~ for dsp, thats not really an issue… its just more difficult from a more architectural levels, like using on an entire chain, which would give benefits to ALL modules)

Organelle is most popular, by far… (no idea of the numbers, but lets say 10 to 1… or more)
not only can I see this from peoples questions, but also patches created etc.

I think second platform is rPI (partly as i have so many derivatives under this ‘label’) , which Id consider pretty much as a whole…
the main issue for other platforms is having a useable UI… Im not really interested in having a computer screen or web UI, since Orac was designed as an ‘embedded’ synth.
( I think if you are connecting a mouse/keyboard, why not just use something like sunvox?)
so the issue with a rPI, is theres no standard for screens, pots, encoders…
I did do a Norns version , but Norns only has 3 encoders as standards, which I don’t feel is enough.
I have the Push2 interface, but few connect their Push too a rPI , its a bit thing (but it does work nicely)

that said, I have recently created a UI for Orac for all platforms for the Electra One which we were demo-ing at Superbooth 21 on the Electra One stand.

this uses a custom firmware I wrote for the Electra One, and will talk to any Orac platform (so Organelle, rPI, Modular) … in the demo, Orac is running on a Terminal Tedium (rPI based) eurorack module.

I still need to release this, the reason I haven’t is the underlying firmware api has undergone a radical set of changes, so its quite a lot of work for me to change my Orac firmware… and Id been working on it for quite a while to get it ready for superbooth … so honestly, I needed a bit of a break…

but I will get there :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Some help would be appreciated by someone with know how.

I’ve installed new pots because I was not reaching the max values (details in other thread on here…). The issue is still the same with the new pots. So I would need to override the scaling for the pots in the Orac patch.

As of now I can not change values in Orac which have the maxmium value set as the default value (and with the “catch up” behaviour for the pots enabled). So If the filter is fully open 15000hz in a patch, I can not reach that value with the pots. Im reaching perhaps 14990hz. It means I’m stuck at the default 15000hz value.

I’ve tried to override the scaling for each pot in the Message i/o - analog.pd. I’m probably doing it wrong since I’m not seeing any change regardless if I put 1010 or 500 instead of the default 1023.

I can do the same in another patch outside of Orac and get it to work. But the same procedure inside of Orac have no effect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Which OS are you using?

Did you buy the organelle used?

OS 4.0 on Organelle 1.

Bought second hand yes, but with brand new pots installed with exactly the same behaviour.

All right, I’ve contacted support and it seems my unit is running an older version of some firmware (not OS)… And it seems that it needs to be shipped to them to get it fixed :frowning:

Hi everybody,
I get this message when I try to open main PD via VNC:
write_config /sdcard/Patches/orac/main.pd recentfiles: couldn’t open “~/.config/Pd/org.puredata.pd.pd-gui/recentfiles.conf”: read-only file system
Is that the reason I cant save my setup on the organelle (OS4.1 pd vers.: 0.49 ?
Is there a rights management problem on Organelle and orac?
Can someone please help?