Orac 2.0

no one found the hidden Easter egg mode yet ? :hatching_chick:

( which I should point out is completely unsupported and highly experimental !)

1 Like

I’m still on Orac 1 atm :frowning: Intrigued about Easter Egg mode!

1 Like

easter eggs have to be hunted for…
they are placed in such a way that only the inquisitive will find them - design to reward involved participation, pushing things forward (*1)

a couple of things, to avoid anyone wasting time searching in the wrong places/way
(thats no fun for anyone! )

• It’s not activated by some weird key sequence, or something you’ll stumble on.
  • You won’t find it in the code by searching for ‘easter egg’ (or anything similar),
    (in fact, id say its pretty hard for anyone to find in the code)
  • I won’t reveal it by guesswork…
  • It’s in Orac 2.0 only
  • theres a good reason its hidden! (and considered unsupported/experimental)

Its most likely spotted by some change in the pure data orac code that seems to have changed for arbitrary reason i.e. it seems to serve no purpose - it only exists for this mode, and is not even subtle!
it’s also likely, when you see it, it’ll seem odd , and you may or may not know whats its for, and unlikely you’ll know how to activate it! (*2)

due to the last point, I’ll make a concession to normal easter egg hunt rules.

IF someone tells me the correct change, and explains what they believe it might be for and how it might work. then I will ‘fill in the missing blanks’, and provide what you need to activate it :wink:

(I’ll not respond to any guesses, or I wish it did “x”, i hope its “x”, as this will spoil it, and the game is, the reward comes from a thoughtful reasoned argument… a kind of “hmm, I wonder if this means you could …” )

(*1) once its revealed anyone can use, and it might prove extremely useful for some (all?)
(*2) there’s a kind of missing “key”, needed to use it - which you could create, but i’ll provide it once the door is found…

9 Likes

Here are 3 modules for Orac 2.0

Tremolo Sync
I think I updated this correctly from Orac 1.0 (works for me at least). It’s a stereo tremolo sync’d to the clock module, with beat divisions. Works nicely with WyrdAl’s drift modulation for some random tremolo! adapted from factory tremelo module.
F-tremolosync.zip (5.4 KB)

U-clocktap
This is an altered clock module that uses the aux key as a tap tempo.
U-clocktap.zip (160.8 KB)

F-BowedGuitarFS
This is adapted from GuitarExtended’s pure data work. It is swells in any audio from silence [it can be a bit finnicky]. as such it works best near the front of a chain, with guitar or any synth with short release times. An awesome feature in Orac 2.0 is to change the destination of the keyboard, so with this module you can play melodies and use the aux to swell.
F_BowedGuitarFS.zip (2.3 KB)

Try these out and let me know what you think :slight_smile:

9 Likes

@oatsincoats - ty for these :slight_smile:
@thetechnobear - excited to do a bit of hunting for that Easter egg! Before I forget, I noticed basic poly module was off by a half step in terms of transposition (maybe you already knew this but I didn’t see anyone else mention it so didn’t want it to go overlooked for the update!)

?
What do you mean ? a full semitone? When transposed or normally?
Is it just basic poly or others as well?

Hello everybody , im ready to install Orac. My Organelle is one of the lastest versions (blue) where can i find which Pure Data version my Organelle has installed? I guess this will be a long and great friday’s night!

The Organelle ships with Pd 0.46.

Thank you for the feedback Chrisk

yes just double checked - both basic poly and basic mono play C# when you hit a C (with transposition set to zero). I didn’t check all of the synth modules but both analog style and czz are good…

Any troubleshooting tips for massive lag using 2.0? Seems like I’m exceeding processing capabilites but its happening with just a couple modules running.

I haven’t experienced anything like that. If you can say what modules you’re running and in what configuration I’d be glad to check if mine does the same…

re: easter egg

im not sure if this is sufficient enough theory, but I am not quite sure at all what the r opgmCg in main.pd could do in orac as of now.

I know midi program changes are a thing, but it does not apply as of now to the way orac is set up.

What this could mean, to take a guess, is a system of changing presets or even premade chains on the fly through midi data.

That’s not it.
But indeed you can switch presets thru program changes in Orac 2.0 :slight_smile:

1 Like

One thing I noticed new is that orac2 has its own mother.pd, that prepends all the normal send/receive names with o (eg oknob1 instead of knob1, onotes instead of notes).
My guess for the easter egg: this is so the names no longer conflict with normal organelle patches.
So you can make a module that maps the module send/receives to the standard ones, and instantiates a plain organelle patch so it can work as a module (though you can only use one at a time).

11 Likes

That would be just incredible :open_mouth:

Bingo, we have a winner :slight_smile:

At Superbooth, but when I’m back I’ll talk more on this :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Well done! Super sleuth right here. Also a potentially amazing feature.

If I understand this right… You can potentially open a single normal Organelle patch along side Orac? If so… mind blown.

I have a question, haven’t seen the topic advice but could someone briefly explain the difference from coding a (modular) orac2.0 patch and a standard PD patch?
or is it exactly the same?

1 Like