Orac 2.0

As a small thank you to @thetechnobear and everyone who helped with developing orac and orac’s custom modules I put this sample pack together of drums compatible for orac’s sampler 24, all the sounds have two seconds of silence after them so no looping! I’m away from my organelle right now but to my understanding the only modification you may have to make it so copy the text file from kit 3 and put it into this one and re-name it kit- (whatever number your on)

I’m newer to this so I could be wrong about that last bit, but it worked fine for me. Enjoy!

3 Likes

I’ve ported over a number of modules to 2.0, you can get them at:

The modules are:
sequencer

• notegen

utility

• audio2midi
  • muchord
  • clockswing

synth

Unzip each module into media/orac/usermodules/[category]
If there is doumentation it will be at https://github.com/adbrant/orac2_modules/wiki

6 Likes

@WyrdAl thanks for porting these!
@Usedpaperbag thanks for the samples!

1 Like

I’m a newcomer to Organelle and love it so much - and am also mightily impressed with Orac - I’ve installed 2.0 but it’s not a happy bunny and makes a crunching noise when I load a patch but has also started freezing… apologies if this isn’t the best place to raise this but I’m just wondering if there’s an updated version of 2.0 I should load instead? I’ve followed Mark’s instructions and am working from the most recent layout for the modules…

Point me in the right direction and thanks

Freezing could be from putting too many high CPU modules in. But we can help you better if you describe how you had orac setup when it freezed. it helps greatly if you can replicate that freezing, and tell us how you did.

Who is Tim? What instructions are you referring to?

Have you upgraded Pd to 0.49 using my installer?

Apart from that, I need to know what’s the setup, you could save as a preset and share it.

As with all things I recommend you start simple, and build up - that will also help you describe where/when the problem starts.
As you can read able, not only did I test it, but quite a few others are using without issue - so specifics are needed for issues.

@thetechnobear

i’m trying to get some initial grip of this.
can ORAC 2.0 be opened in the Mac Pure Data app, or is it compiled to be opened on Organelle?
can modules be opened on pc/mac or just in organelle?

Hey Mark - sorry (not sure who the hell Tim is!) what’s surprised me is I’m not trying to do anything crazy with Orac - just load up Polybeats and a synth into slots 1 and 2 - and then load an effect into one of the modulation slots - and that’s it. I’ve tried using the 1x10 chain and that worked briefly but the strange crackles when loading slots then it freezing clearly indicates something isn’t right - I’ve checked it’s not other individual patches on the Organelle and they’re all working fine, so seems Orac specific - sorry I’m new yo the whole open source thing (I play bass and use Ableton) but I want to learn! Hope that’s in some way helpful :wink:

@MikeFBass the freezing might have to do with your loading an fx module into a modulation slot (haven’t tested so idk for sure if that’s it). I’m pretty sure you’re only supposed to load modulation modules into these. FX goes in your normal chain/chains.

Afa the sound when loading modules, it should be pretty minimal in orac 2 (similar to the sound of plugging in a patch cable on a modular :wink: )

Ha, sounds about right - will give it another go soon - can’t wait to get it working properly!

Thanks man

Take a look at this:

1 Like

ok, theoretically, you can put anything in any slot…
its just putting something with audio (synth/fx) into a modulation won’t actually do anything - as theres no audio io to the modulation slots… ( I doubt it’d crash it)

you can also put modulators into ‘audio’ slots, and this does have a use, if you use mod bus 0-3, otherwise its kind of a waste of a slot that could be used for audio processing.

the only ‘issue’ I know of, its if you start modulating modulators , such that could create some kind of loop , this will take cpu very high! this was easy to do if you forgot to turn modulate learn off - I think this is less likely in newer release as now, Ive made it so you cannot modulate the same modulator.
(its still possible to create a loop by intermediate modulators, but that much less common)

apart from, I think we’d need to hear a specific combination to know what’s going on, speculating is not really going to get to the bottom of it.

I’m going to load up things in a more logical order as soon as I can and see if the problems persist - it all makes sense as I’m used to building pedal boards/signal paths - it’s all pretty logical - will let you know how i get on - thanks again for your thoughts and help

1 Like

just a short note… on ‘releasing’ the easter egg mode…

I’m just back from Superbooth, and got a bit of a cold, but hopefully in next few days my plan is… release the ‘template’ easter egg patch, and a video that explains what the feature is, how to use it , and its limitations. (subject to how im feeling etc :wink: )

the basics are already detailed above, but to add some details to the picture…

the idea is simple, you will take a template patch and throw it and an existing organelle patch into a directory as a subdirectory under ‘usermodules’ - then you can use that patch as a module in Orac.
(one directory for each patch/module - the name of the directory is the module name)

it should ‘just’ work, with many different types of patches,
but there are some limitations:
(this is the reason this is both experimental, and unsupported)

• you can only have one ‘patch’ module loaded at any time
  • no parameters will be saved in presets, since organelle patches don’t have them… a preset will merely load the patch module.
  • no midi or modulation learn
  • I’m supporting mode, and its unlikely it will be ‘improved’
  • I don’t want these ‘converted’ modules to be ‘advertised’ as Orac modules (which should probably come up with a name for them).
    users should be able to expect that an orac module is ‘fully featured’, unlike these hack modules.

will all patches work? probably not…

• there may be some issues with initialisation on some patches
  • patches that are dependent on the ‘current directory’ may fail

however, in these cases it should fairly quick/simple to modify the patch to make it work.

all these limitations exist because of how Organelle patches are written,
its why we ‘convert’ patches to modules, to make them co-operate, and integrate nicely into a common environment (orac)

the reason I created this ability, was really to be a way to help people into module development for orac, to see the limitations ‘patches’ have, which really helps show why Orac is designed the way it is… to understand the difference between a module and a patch. by doing this, I hope users will understand why its not possible to ‘just load organelle patches’ into a module.

hopefully also if users find a particular patch useful in the Orac environment, then some one will be willing to make it a proper module , so that the above limitations are removed.
(this ‘mode’ also might help patch developers move a patch gradually from organelle patch into a full patch, a bit at a time - though its not personally the way I do it )

3 Likes

Can’t wait to try it out! I think it’s an amazing feature of orac btw - I am excited to try it with some C&G patches that are too complicated for me to convert haha (maybe one day!!). Thanks for providing more details too.

Get well soon!

@thetechnobear, is it possible to have more informations about PCM ? Thanks !

now sure what you mean?
the easter egg? see above post… I need to re-test the template patch, then release it, and produce a video to explain how to use it… which I’ll do once I get rid of this pesky cold!

1 Like

Sorry if i was unclear. I meant i would like to know a bit more about the programm change messages.
You said “you can switch presets thru program changes in Orac 2.0”.
And it’s not very clear for me how to achieve that. And also, i’m wondering if Orac can send pcm (or only receive some ?) ?
(and cool for the template, very curious about it. Anyway, take care of you :slight_smile: )

no, Orac does not send program changes messages - it only receives them.

simply send a program change message on the “Main Midi Ch.” (see Router/Main Ctrl 1), this is by default channel 16 (which id recommend you dont change unless you know what your doing(*) )

the number refers to the order the presets are listed on the preset page - starting from zero (iirc)
(if you want specific ordering, you could rename the presets, to make them list in the order you wish)

this functionality can be turned off on Router/Main Ctrl 2/ Prog = on/off

(*) if you change, make sure it doesn’t clash with the chains midi channel.
i.e. don’t change this to 1, and then leave chain 1 receiving on ch1, which is its default.)

1 Like

Thanks MArk !!!